November 8, 2009

Bye-Bye Baja



Looking out the window of the plane, it's sad to see the blue water and white sand of Baja getting farther and farther away. I'm going to miss this trip.

It still amazes me that things worked out as well as they did considering that I hadn't seen the boat, Paul, or Ray in person until arriving in San Diego for the start. If I could do it again and choose any boat to be on in this year's Ha-Ha, I wouldn't change a thing. Sally is such fun to sail and I couldn't ask for better guys to sail with than Ray and Paul.

It's impossible to know how much trouble we didn't get into as a result of Paul's skippering, but I suspect it's a lot. It's no accident that this trip went as well as it did. Somehow he manages to
keep on top of all that planning and responsibility and still keep his easy-going Cap'n Ron attitude.

Ray, besides being the kind of guy who can get the party started and makes friends everywhere he goes, is also someone who can save your butt in an emergency. It's what he does for a living as a fireman. If fate did have it in for us, like it did for J-World with their whale encounter, I felt better having Ray aboard.

Ray, Jen, Julie, Geneviéve, and I are headed home while Paul will sail up the Sea of Cortez with Debbie. When they get to Loreto, they'll take Sally out of the water and get her ready for chartering through spring. If you've ever wanted to charter a Corsair trimaran in the Sea of Cortez, now is your chance.


That's the end of my story, but stay tuned for more video and photos over the next few weeks. There might even be updates from Paul in the Sea of Cortez.

    -Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment